Unity.ad.ncsu.edu active directory decomissioning
Wed, 08/18/2010 - 09:13 — jaklein.ncsu.edu
We had a preliminary meeting on 8/17/2010 to identify remaining stakeholders and service areas in the unity.ad.ncsu.edu active directory. Present; Everette A, Tom F, Wade C,, Kevin S., Jonn P., Joe W, Todd K, Patrick W., John K.
The group agreed that December 31, 2010 is a reasonable target date to have all services out of the domain, and power the equipment off.
The following services were identified as already decommissioned
- Podcasting UUID via LDAP - no longer used
- OIT shared disk space - no longer used
- WSUS all clients moved to WolfTech already
- WDS no longer used, hardware already repurposed
- No applications delivered via GPOs
- ComTech call manager - no longer uses Unity.ad
The following action items need to be followed up on
- Check usage of VCL machine accounts and confirm they're not being used
- Dell DRAC management needs to be moved to WolfTech
- Userlookup need to cover WolfTech (in progress)
- WINS usage by the administrative environment needs to be determined.
The academic Novell environment is scheduled to be decommissioned on Dec 31, 2010 . At that point, we won't be supporting WINS for traditionally academic clients. There is some confusing regarding how long traditionally administrative customers will continue to access Windows resources with Novell's Client-32 installed. It is believed (but not proven) that we will need a consistant WINS infrastructure for as long as we need to support Client-32 access to services such as the Celerra.
John K and Debbie C. will develop a manifest of servers and services and draw up a timeline which ends the environment on December 31.